Mixed Media: Grief

Mixed Media: Grief.  Acrylics, marker, craft and tissue paper on 8" x 11-1/2" stretched canvas. 

I know this is a weird image. I don't claim to be great at art. I do claim to be authentic, that is, not fake nor phony. I unabashedly post what may be seen as "outsider art."

This image of the sad anthropomorphic figure clinging to the back of the smiling flying horse expresses (for me) human grief and the power of imagination and myth to help us transcend it. Put another way, in this piece I explore the symbiotic relationship between human, animal, and nature and the power of that relationship to assuage grief. 

We are living in a world where daily we experience our own or hear about others' profound pain and loss--and I mean destruction or loss of all life, not just human life. So much if not most of this daily tragedy is man-made, the result of human greed, fear, and hatred turned to exploitation, aggression, and violence.

I believe artists and writers (better artists and writers than I am) are often the conscience of the world whose gifts to the world offer moments of reprieve from our condemnation to human cruelty. Art often offers a restorative connection with the better parts of our human nature and spirituality. 

This may even come in the form of comic relief. For my part I also thought about calling this piece "Good Grief".

For a mixed media piece with some similar traits, see "Weird Bird".