Drawing: If I Counted Sheep

Drawing: If I Counted Sheep. Media are pencil, Sharpee, water-based marker, colored pencil on mixed media paper.

This is not an image that would help me sleep even if I counted sheep. There's something unsettling about sheep breaking off from the flock. It doesn't look natural. Sheep are supposed to stick together, for safety reasons. 

The reason this image would not help me sleep is because looking at it now I think of American politics. Too many people follow a herd-mentality, or should I say flock? We don't need to; we're not sheep. We individuate, right? People should form community but in a good way and for the right reasons. But too many people conform for acceptance by the group. The fact they are scared they'll be cast out of the group--that's part and parcel of the bigger problem. They don't think for themselves. They can't tell when they're being lied to, manipulated, or cheated. If they can tell but won't admit it--ayyy--the problem keeps getting bigger.

I'm suddenly feeling proud of the three sheep looking here, away from the group. I also like the colored ones. They show potential to be different, to turn away from group-think. That's a start. Suddenly I'm tired. So tired. 1-z 2-z's 3-z's 4-z's  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Inquiries: emilysfolkart@gmail.com