Drawing: Kitty and the cougar


Drawing: Kitty and the cougar: memory is memory. Pencil on 9" x 12" mixed media paper. Digitally tinted in Picasa.

We had a full moon view from our window this week. Ady was acting a little crazy. Well, not a little, a lot. But that isn't exactly what led me to draw this picture. 

It began with a little line drawing of Ady. The kitty acquired some features of a young girl. I didn't fight it; I love to anthropomorphize. The kitty wears a cape, like Little Red Riding Hood. She looks a little smug. She feels pretty safe. The cougar is in the distance and Kitty knows memory is memory.

I need to revisit some memories in upcoming days. I told someone I would, and I try to keep my promises. Who wants to revisit painful memories though? Most people do not, so they move on. Some people stay too busy for reflection. I understand the value in that. Staying busy is good if you do things that have long range positive outcomes. There's little to no value in addiction, of course, which is another way people hide pain. Living truly comes down to practicing acceptance and exerting one's moral courage and strength. Now who sounds smug?

I get to draw and write. I get to express myself. I am so far fortunate that way. I continue to pray for the thousands of displaced people walking in caravans through Mexico. I have written about that at Emily's Other Place. I am concerned for all people in Mexico, and for everyone in need of safety now. 

Never, it seems to me, have we ever been in the kind of national crisis in this country that we are in now. Not due to the migrant caravans. No. We are being subjected to an unprecedented level of a rhetoric of social violence and an incitement to social and political violence. I remain deeply concerned.