Drawing: Remembering Chad

Chad
May, 1990 - April, 20017

Drawing: Remembering Chad. Pencil, colored pencil, on 9" x 12" mixed media paper. 

Yesterday my cousin Deloris came to visit me, bringing with her husband and her son, Gabriel. We packed several days worth of activity into an afternoon, going to the public library book sale, where everyone got books and Gabe got DVDs. We went to a huge "makers' fair" at the county fair grounds where we perused homemade crafts and shared curly fries from one of the food trucks. Deloris and her husband wanted to see the war memorial that recently had been dedicated. We ate at the food co-op. She wanted to see where I live and do my folk art and stuff. We searched online for a couple of hard-to-find DVDs Gabe wanted for his collection. It was a very full day. 

Deloris and her husband had trusted me to push Gabe around in his chair everywhere we went, which was really nice for me because it was one thing I could do for him. I told Deloris at the table when her husband got up to walk back to their mobility van to get Gabe's water cup from the car, "you are such a lovely family, so cooperative". They help each other without making a fuss. Deloris said: "Well, I try. You know, you've got to go with the flow." 

Far away today Pope Francis canonized Paul VI, Oscar Romero, and five others, including two brave women! Pope Francis tweeted this message: "The world needs saints, and all of us, without exception, are called to holiness. We are not afraid!" 

Today in my small corner of the world I am commemorating Gabriel's younger brother Chad's life. Chad passed away from complications to illness and vulnerabilities from his disability a year and a half ago. He was a special young man and he will never be forgotten here.