Collage of Drawings: Saints of Mexico


Collage of Drawings: Saints of Mexico. Pencil, Marker, Paper.

Between 1995 and 2014, I traveled to various regions of Mexico 19 times. I often visited churches but I dedicated one trip to pilgrimage. I visited shrines of saints venerated for miracles and healing in churches in and around Mexico City, Puebla, Tlaxcala, Queretaro, Guanajuato, San Luis Potosi, and Zacatecas.

The third most visited shrine in Mexico is that of El Santo Nino de Atoche (upper left drawing) in Plateros, Zacatecas. The first is the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe (lower right drawing) at Tepeyac near Mexico City. The second most visited is the shrine of Our Lady of San Juan de los Lagos northeast of Guadalajara in Jalisco (not pictured). I was unable to travel to Guadalajara.

At center above is my drawing of El Santo Nino de las Palomitas of Tacoaleche, Zacatecas. At bottom left is the Virgin of Candelaria of Valladolid, Yucatan, a favorite place of mine in the heart of the Mayan Yucatan. In the upper right corner of the collage is my drawing of a little girl I met on a grand stairway outdoors during a trip through Quintana Roo, Campeche, Palenque, and Chiapas. Her name was Estella.